Making sure that our community has only the best and best-educated individuals providing health care services is most important as the Foundation acts on its mission. We are fortunate in that we are able to not only help students get a start in their health care related careers, but we can also lend assistance during their careers as well. We are especially lucky that a good many of these individuals want to come back ‘home’ to begin their practice or to continue providing top quality care here.
“In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us.”–Flora Edwards
Scholarships for qualified individuals are granted for EMT training, but does not cover any testing expenses. Those who receive scholarships and pass their exams, must serve one year with the Ortonville Ambulance Service in order for the scholarship loan to be forgiven.
The Big Stone Health Care Foundation also offers educational loan assistance for nearly every medical field for qualified individuals including:
- LPN & RN
How the Program works and Qualifications
1. Any person who has been unconditionally accepted into an accredited medical school or is already enrolled and a student in a health care related program or health care related course of study at an accredited school or facility and desires to obtain a scholarship loan from the Big Stone Health Foundation shall make application directly to the Foundation.
2. Scholarship loans will be given and may be forgiven by the loan recipient returning to a job that is a approved health care provider. Should the applicant at any time discontinue his or her program or course of study the loan would be immediately repayable with interest.
3. The amount of the scholarship loan to be given to each applicant will be determined by the Foundation Board of Directors according to the needs of the applicant and the availability of the Foundation’s funds at the time of the application.
4. The Foundation Board of Directors will decide and award or not award scholarships as applications are reviewed using the following criteria:
- A letter of acceptance or proof of registration from the school or facility of choice;
- An estimate of costs by quarter, semester, or the term of study;
- Three references from non friends or relatives relating to the candidate’s character and ability to achieve the degree; and
- A biographical paragraph of themselves and why they think they are a good option for a scholarship.
5. In the event that there is no employment possibility with a provider at the time of the application’s completion of the course of study, the Board of Directors and the applicant will determine the manner of repayment of the loan and the interest.